Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Morrisey Construction Co.

So yes, I did take the name of this blog from a Smiths song, but no, I'm not some raging Morrisey fan. How could I be? I'm not a depressed Latino teenager. But I do have two quick Moz-related anecdotes:

1. When I was in college I was hanging out at a bar with this girl and we were amusing ourselves by writing stuff on each other's arms with a sharpie marker. For some (drunken) reason I wrote, "The Queen Is Dead" on her arm, and she freaked out cuz she was a huge Smiths fan apparently. "Do you like The Smiths?" she asked, to which I replied the only way you can to a hipster girl to gain any kind of credibility. "Yeah, but I like their earlier stuff better." Young romeos, take note: this response can be applied to any band in the history of the world and it will make you sound like the most knowledgeable music aficionado in the universe. Don't say I never gave you anything, kids.

2. I was driving by a construction site once and the sign on the fence said, "Morrisey Construction Co." on it. I immediately pictured Morrisey with a hard-hat sitting on top of his greased pompador, ordering around a bunch of workers melodramatically. The crew, of course, would not be your typical migrant workers, but rather, the clinically-depressed hispanic emo kids that make up the singer's cult following. Hijinks and shenanigans would inevitably ensue.
Did somebody say sitcom?

No comments: